Today we are making a bento based on the famous children’s cartoon character, Anpanman! Anpanman is a superhero who has a head made of an anpan.
There are a lot of prepared ingredients in here, the reason is that bento is something that is usually made in a bit of a rush, and uses a lot of leftovers, etc.
- brown rice
- potato croquette (a recipe here: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Potato-Croquettes-243269 It pays to make a large batch of them and only fry the ones you will eat and freeze the rest for later)
- hot dog (boil it and slice it into 3mm thick medallions)
- Japanese omelet (called tamago-yaki, directions here )
- ham slices (cut it in half length-wise, roll it up and stick some uncooked spaghetti in it is fix it in place)
- sauteed spinach
- slice cheese
- uncooked spaghetti
Things you will need:
- A knife
- chopping board
- scissors (that you can use for food)
- food picks
Get out your ingredients like the picture above.
Take the rice and put it in some saran wrap to form it into a big ball for the head.
Take the tip of the hot dog, and two slice of it for cheeks. Stick a piece of uncooked pasta through the parts to affix it.
Take the seaweed and make the parts for the face (as pictured below). You can cut the seaweed and cheese with scissors (make sure these scissors stay FOOD-ONLY scissors)
Take some mayonnaise and attach any parts that seem like they will fall off with a dab of it.
Arrange the vegetables around the two faces. If you have a cookie-cutter you can use it to cut out shapes from the cheese slices. Stick in the rolled-up ham slices.
Take the edamame and skewer them onto the food picks.
And there you are! You now have a super cute kids lunch!